Saturday, October 1, 2016

Opening Gala Honors June Thorley

Opening Gala Introduces An Annual Award

Photos by Karl Hugh, Sept. 27, 2016 OSU Gala to celebrate the Orchestra of Southern Utah and recognize a special musician who was a founding board member and faithful musician for over 70 years.


Harold Shirley, OSU President gives history of OSU.

Sara Penny, OSU Assistant, gives vision for OSU's future and appreciation to June Thorley's legacy.

OSU Executive Director Pete Akins recalls impact of OSU on his life and inspiration of June Thorley.
Dennis Loeffel shares his perspective.

June Thorley with some of her family.

Presentation of Thorley Musical Legacy Award.









Thanks to June Thorley for her years of musical service.  OSU Manager Emily Hepworth's statement: "When I first came to the orchestra, I remember seeing June. I knew then that I wanted to be like her, always performing and playing my instrument. Over the past ten years, she has continued to inspire me and other musicians. This is why I chose a tree as a center theme. While branches spread out above, the roots do the same below. A musical legacy does the same. The passion, both seen and hidden, is spread. The legacy award is for those who plant roots far and wide." 

Additional coverage of event: http://www.suunews.com/news/2016/sep/29/celebrating-june-thorley/

Article about June Thorley's impact on area music: http://www.thespectrum.com/story/news/local/cedar-city/2016/09/28/60-years-bringing-music-so-utah/91241026/?hootPostID=18eb9a38c84e8b9615b189f610b1ce94

Sampling of reactions via facebook:
Camille Woolsey Love Mrs. Thorley.....I had her as my Orchestra Teacher from 3rd Grade till I graduated 12th Grade.....and she even played at my wedding almost 24 years ago with a quartet.....I absolutely owe this lady so much.
Ann Frehner Well deserved. June has touched so many lives over the years, including some of my children and grandchildren. Thank you June
Lana Topham Roberts She is truly an icon, worthy of any award that can possibly be given. If you were a student of hers, consider yourself privileged. If you attend any kind of performance that she was a part of, consider yourself fortunate. I sum her life up in one word...EPIC! 
C. Tad Brinkerhoff She changed the lives of thousands. The legacy will never end. Thanks Mrs Thorley for your dedication.

No comments:

Post a Comment