Sunday, March 24, 2013

Moldau - One of the Great Classics

You're invited to the performance on April 18 which features the Moldau directed by Gerald Rheault.  More information at http://www.orchestraofsouthernutah.org/

From Ken Hedgecock on "The Moldau":

That piece always has a special place for me.  

When I was in 3rd grade, Mrs. Shumway had all of us kids put our heads down on our desk, resting on our arms, and she played this entire piece for us.

While the piece played, I could hear the water forming on leaves, then becoming a small stream, then a river, the hunter's horns, a nearby village having a celebration, river rapids, etc.

When it was all over, Mrs. Shumway had us draw a picture of what we were thinking of while the piece was playing.  I, of course, drew a mighty blue river.  

But, more importantly, this piece "The Moldau" was the very FIRST piece of classical music I had ever heard...other than in cartoons, of course.

I was hooked from that moment on.

So whenever I perform this piece, I always think I have come full circle back to my very first experience of classical music.  Thus while others may think of hunter's horns, a village celebration, the river's white water and a slow flowing river...I always think of that little 3rd grader, with his head on his desk, experiencing classical music, for the very first time in his life in Amarillo, Texas.

Preview this wonderful piece. Moldau youtube with photos of Prague:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdtLuyWuPDs

Countryside near Prague

Rivers converge in Prague

Architecture is maintained with exquisite detail in many parts of Prague.





 Come and experience one of the great classics with the Orchestra of Southern Utah, Thursday, April 18, at 7:30 p.m. at the Heritage Center.

(Photos by Des and Sara Penny)

No comments:

Post a Comment