Thursday, April 5, 2012

New Horn for Debbie

We love the tenacity and dedication of the Orchestra of Southern Utah musicians.  Debbie Nollan developed a tendon problem so she has an "adaptive" horn which is played with  the opposite hand position.  She is going to play Finlandia on April 19, no matter what.  The photo of Debbie is from last summer before the injury.

From Debbie:

Got my "new" horn today.  A hobbiest in Michigan took a single Bb horn apart, and put it back together in mirror image.  He had to change the bend in 3 pipes.  I practiced for the first time in 4 weeks, and without pain.  It'll take a bit of getting used to as I have to set up my body in a totally different way and I have to think Bb horn even though I'm not pulling a thumb valve.  Now I can resume my playing and heal up that tendon at the same time.

I will have to figure out how to reupholster the case to accommodate this horn.

We wish her a speedy recovery and appreciate her great contribution to our orchestra.  She also manages the Color Country Winds so woodwind and brass players can keep performing throughout the summer and fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment